Happy Father's Day!!!

Posted by Mary B. Lucas | Posted in

Hello and Welcome to The Butcher Block Exchange!

As you can see from this picture I come from a big family.

I mean BIG!

Since we took this photo on Labor Day 1999, we lost both Mom and Dad (front and center)
and my sister Joan (standing just behind Dad.)
We have also ADDED 47 new family members to the Bichelmeyer bunch.

Like I said... I come from a BIG family!

Growing up number 9 of 10 children and a butcher's daughter, THE gathering place at our family home was a large butcher block table - the center of our family universe. And because we never knew
who might drop by on any given day, it was at times our community universe too.

The butcher block table was the “go to” place where you shared a thought or a story, a laugh or a tear.
 In exchange, you always seemed to walk away inspired and ready to head out in the world knowing that whenever another dose of inspiration was needed, you could head right back to the block,
pull up a chair and gobble up more of that good stuff.

Sometimes a thought that resonated with me came from a visiting neighbor or out-of-towner or a sibling or a friend… but most of the time that wisdom and inspiration came from Mom and Dad.

There were so many heartwarming stories you could write a book about them.  Oh yeah... I did!

Lunchmeat & Life Lessons: Sharing a Butcher's Wisdom was based on the kind of stories I am talking about, all courtesy of Dad.

But there were plenty of other memorable stories shared at the block that did not involve Dad…from people like Aunt Rosie and Aunt Ag, Grandpa "Footsy" Matson, Max the milkman and Father Dolan our parish priest. Some of the most cherished stories came from Mom… Mary Helen Matson Bichelmeyer (a.k.a. Babe,) an only child who grew up to be the mother of ten, and the inspiration for a future book; Laundry & Life Lessons: Sharing a Mother's Wisdom.

With Mom and Dad now gone, the family home torn down and the Bichelmeyer butcher block table shipped to my baby sister in Indiana, I miss having that "go to" place to feed my soul.
Now it seems I am always looking for the next special place to head for thought and inspiration.
Writing my book filled that nook for a while, but now I seek something new. Something digital!

That's why I've recreated the old butcher block right here in cyber space. The Butcher Block Exchange is a virtual hang out where you never know who might drop by with a thought or a story to leave us laughing, crying and renewed – just like we used to do in my parent's kitchen in Kansas.

So welcome – to the first serving at the BBE!

I hope this blog becomes a favorite resource to feed your heart, mind and soul with inspiration
that sticks to the ribs. A place to come fill yourself up so you can give yourself away
to all that awaits you... beyond the Butcher Block Exchange.

A place where you can "Inspire Yourself"!

Mary B. Lucas, B.D. (Butcher's Daughter)

P.S. Future postings will be short, sweet and frequent so “Comeback” often, not only to read but to share your own special stories.

I look forward to spending some time here at the block with you.

Comments (5)

  1. Hi Mary! Happy Father's Day to your dad! There isn't a prouder dad between Heaven and earth today than your father. Much health and success to you and your family!

    Best regards,

    Brian T.

  2. Mary -
    Congrats for starting this. I am sure it will be fun and inspiring as always. Great start to Fathers day!
    Shannon

  3. What a wonderful tribute! I look forward to following this blog!

  4. This is a great blog!

  5. I can't wait to hear more from the Butcher Block Exchange. It will be a wonderful extension of Lunchmeat & Life Lessons.