Moments

Posted by Mary B. Lucas | Posted in

Monday


Exhausted after a hectic holiday weekend I drive my son Chase back to school and turn around to rush back home.


About an hour and a half outside of Kansas City I find myself too sleepy to drive another minute and check in to the Holiday Inn in Boonville Missouri.

Image from BestPlaces.com


Half hour later I am sound asleep.


Tuesday


After a good night’s sleep and a stolen morning away from everything and everyone but my latest favorite book on tape I arrive home and open my mail only to find a card sent from my sister Jane two days earlier that reads...

I used to be driven but I pulled over.

It was a moment.


Wednesday


An email shows up in my inbox alerting me to a question posted on the LinkedIn Butcher Block Exchange group.


A member has posed the question:
"My father was a big influence in my early years. What tips do you have about being a modern day father?"
I post the following response...

I have been touched by comments I hear from so many Dad's that I have been privileged to meet as a result of the book I wrote about MY Dad.

The story that came to mind when you asked this question however... was about the Father who came up to me after a speech I did in Vegas about my Dad.

With tears in his eyes he walked up to me and said... "thank you for speaking today... I have to admit however I really didn't listen much at all I was so distracted. You see... this is the first time I've left my 8 week old baby girl and all I could think about as you were speaking was... how can I be the kind of Father to MY Daughter that your Father was for you? I really want my Daughter to love and respect me that much as well... thank you."

I replied... "If that is all you could think about... I don't think you will have any trouble."
It was a moment.

Thursday

I am crazed with work work (paying job -consulting & coaching) and yet the book work (Lunchmeat Legion philanthropy & social media stuff) is consuming me.

On the way to a speaking engagement my friend Betsy calls and reminds me that I have not posted anything on my blog since that last "Jack is Back" message. I tell her that I have not had the time to write anything substantial or meaningful.


She comments that the ..."best blogs are not novelettes... they are bathed in brevity" ... "just write about moments" she suggests.


Now... I have never used the word brevity in a sentence... just for the heck of it I decide to look it up on dictionary.com.


Brevity - the quality of expressing much in few words


I laugh out loud... brevity... there is not a brevity bone in my body... never has been.

In fact... "Mary -one sentence too many- Lucas" is how friends and foe might refer to me... the first lovingly, the second, not so much.


It was a moment.


Friday


I bookmark the to do of writing a brevity based blog post about moments and bury myself in the back log of work work work waiting for me.


Saturday


I blow off writing a brevity based blog post about moments -Day 2 and go back to the "pull over" mental mindset and I play on a gorgeous September Kansas day.

Image from Kaprizen

A day filled with moments.


Sunday


I blow off writing my brevity based blog post yet again and finish the book on tape I started on my Monday drive.


Favorite moment in the book?


Antonia says to her Mother... "You are so beautiful" and her Mother replies...


"Life is Beautiful... some people just remind us of that more often than others".


It was a moment.


I am now inspired to write my blog post and share this favorite quote along with my thanks to my sister Jane, the Dad from the speech in Vegas and my friend Betsy for reminding me to "pull over" from time to time and cherish the moments.


Image from loricraig.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com


Cheers!




P.S. By the way... in case you are wondering I do realize I still have a lot of brevity work to do!

Comments (1)

  1. Oh Mary! I am honored and touched that you referred to my "advice" in this blog entry. I loved it! Have a week filled with wonderful moments ahead! OX -- Betsy